Sesame seed mixture:
1/3 cup milk (almond milk good)
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. ground poppy seeds
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. rum or a few drops rum flavoring
a pinch of salt
For the batter:
2 tbsp. soft butter
2 large eggs separated
1/4 cup powdered sugar (40 gr.)
3/4 cup flour (75 gr.)
1/4 cup corn starch (25 gr.)
1/2 cup ground walnuts (60 gr.)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
grated rind of organic orange
1/4 cup milk
1. First of all prepare the sesame mixture by placing all the sesame mixture ingredients in a small saucepan.
2. Mix and gently cook for one minute, then cover and remove from heat. Set aside.
3. Beat the soft butter with the egg yolks and powdered sugar until fluffy.
4. Mix in the cooled poppy seed mixture.
5. Mix in the rest of the batter ingredients ending with the milk.
6. Beat in the reserved beaten egg whites (with soft peaks).
7. Pour mixture into a greased and wax paper lined bread pan. Smooth top.
8. Bake in a 375deg.F (180deg.C) preheated oven for about 30-40 minutes or until toothpick tests done.
9. Cool and serve with powdered sugar on top or with chocolate ganache icing (as follows).
CHOCOLATE GANACHE: Melt a small bar (about 125 gr. or 4 oz.) of dark chocolate and 2 tbsp. heavy cream in a small double boiler. When mixture is smooth frost top of poppy seed bread.