For the dough:
2 cups bread flour or unbleached all purpose flour
1 tbsp very soft butter or olive oil
1 scant tsp sugar
1 scant tsp salt
1/2 envelope quick rising granulated yeast (about 1 tsp)
1/2 cup tepid water (150ml)
1 beaten egg for brushing
a handful of sesame seeds if desired, for sprinkling on top
for the filling:
about 1/2 lb. (200 gr.) pumpkin or butternut squash cut into small cubes
1/2 scallion thinly sliced (or 1/2 small onion)
a small branch of rosemary (needles only) finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1. Saute’ the pumpkin or squash together with the sliced scallion in a pan with 2 tbsp olive oil and finely chopped rosemary until soft. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside and cool.
2. In the meantime place the dough ingredients into the bread machine according to the correct order. (usually first oil or butter, then water and dry ingredients, with yeast last). Let the dough rise using the “pizza” setting. Otherwise combine the ingredients and hand knead for about 10 minutes until the dough is no longer very sticky. It should be quite soft though. Form into a ball and place into a large bowl. Cover with a piece of wax paper and let rise in a warm place. When dough has risen and is about double in size, punch it down and spread it and pat it into a long oblong shape (about 30X15cm – or 12X6 inches).
3. Spread the cooled pumpkin mixture down the center leaving a margin all around (you probably won’t need all of it, good as a side dish). Roll the dough from one wide end to the other side forming a cylinder, and pinch the edges shut. Now cut the dough with a sharp knife into 8 pieces. Pinch the sides of every piece shut. Roll into a ball shape and place each piece into an oiled pie or other similar round pan into a circle, with sides touching as illustrated above.
9. Cover with waxed paper again and let rise for about half an hour. When nearly doubled in size, brush rolls with a beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
10. Bake in a preheated 375deg.F oven (180deg.C) for about 25 minutes until golden.
11. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Then gently remove the wreath and continue cooling until tepid or cold. Pull apart when ready to eat.