1/2 lb. (220 gr.) steamed pumpkin (or squash)
1 cup (120 gr.) flour
3/4 lb. (300 gr.) steamed or boiled potatoes in their skins
2 tbsp. corn or potato starch
1 egg yolk
a pinch of ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup grated parmigiano cheese.
1. Press the cooked pumpkin and peeled potatoes through the ricer (or mash). (still hot)
2. Blend in the salt, nutmeg and egg yolk.
3. Combine the flour and starch and mix into the above to form a stiff but not too firm dough.
4. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
5. Press 1/4 of the mixture into the water through a potato ricer with a gnocchi attachment. Otherwise follow the traditional procedure found under “purple gnocchi” posted this month.
6. When gnocchi float up to the surface pick them up with a slotted spoon and keep them hot while the others are being cooked.
7. Serve the gnocchi with the melted butter and sprinkle with the parmigiano cheese.
TIP: slightly fried sage leaves in butter go well with this dish.