Recipe ingredients for 3 to 4 servings:
700 gr. (1 1/2 lb.) purple potatoes
230 gr. (2 cups) all purpose flour
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
1/4 cup melted butter
a few fresh sage leaves
1/4 cup grated parmigiano cheese
1. Steam or boil the unpeeled potatoes until tender (10 min. pressure cooker or 20 min. boiled).
2. Test the potatoes with a fork (they should be soft enough to mash easily).
3. Peel and press the potatoes through a ricer or mash with a fork while still hot.
4. Mix in the seasonings and egg and mix well.
5. Gradually stir in the flour to form a soft (but not stiff) dough. It should be slightly sticky.
6. Gather together into ball (flouring as little as possible) and cut into 4 pieces.
7. Roll each piece into a long rope on a floured board (about 1/2 inch or 1 1/2 cm.) in diameter.
8. Cut each rope into 1 1/2 inch or 2 cm. pieces.
9. In the meantime bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
10. Throw in about 1/4th of the gnocchi at a time. They should sink but remerge when ready.(1 to 2 min.)
11. When they float up, remove them immediately with a slotted spoon. Sprinkle them with melted butter.
12. Cook the rest in the same way.
13. In the meantime toast the sage leaves in a little butter.
14. Serve the gnocchi hot decorated with the sage (delicious together). Spoon over the extra butter.
15. Sprinkle with grated parmigiano cheese.
Tip: Decorate with edible flowers if desired, for example pansies.