1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 cup amaranth flour
1 cup oatmeal flour (finely ground oatmeal)
4 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1. Whisk the first 4 flours together.
2. Sift the flours together with the remaining dry ingredients.
3. Store the mix in a covered jar or tightly sealed container in your cupboard until ready to use.
FOR PANCAKES: For each cup of mix (makes 9-10 medium pancakes or 2-3 servings)
1. Beat one large egg with 1 cup of buttermilk, yogurt, kefir (or milk of your choice).
2. Beat in 1 tbsp. oil (olive, coconut).
3. Mix in the cup of flour (don’t over mix).
4. Fry 1/3 cupfuls on a hot greased griddle turning once until golden. Serve with maple syrup if desired.
FOR WAFFLES: Follow the same as for pancakes only reducing the milk to 3/4 cup. For fluffier waffles beat the egg whites separately folding them in at the end.
FOR OLADI: (Russian fluffy pancakes) Beat the egg(s) together with 1 tsp. of sugar until very light. Gently mix in the yogurt or kefir and then the flour. Lastly mix in 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar. Fry like pancakes. Makes good waffles also.
FOR FRUIT CRUMBLE: Mix 1 cup of mix with 1/4 cup brown sugar. Rub in 1/4 cup butter or vegetable shortening to form a crumbly mixture. Mix 4-6 cups chopped fruit (apples, pears, peaches or berries) with the juice of 1/2 lemon, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tbsp. flour. Cover with the crumble mixture. Bake at 180degC (375degF) for 25-30 minutes or until the fruit is bubbly and top is golden.