3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup buckwheat flour
3 tbsp coconut (or brown) sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
optional: 1 tbsp dry sourdough starter
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup cold butter in small pieces
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 tsp caraway seeds and/or
2 tbsp chia seeds
1 large egg
2 cups buttermilk or kefir (or liquid yogurt)
1. In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
2. Work in the cold butter with hands or food processor to form a fine “crumb”. Set aside.
3. Beat the egg with 1 tsp. water. (Remove and reserve a tbsp of the egg to brush the loaf prior to baking).
4. Add the beaten egg to the buttermilk or kefir and mix well.
5. Mix the liquid egg mixture into the dry flour mixture until just blended. Press into a cylinder shape.
6. Place into a wax paper lined bread pan. Slash the top of the loaf diagonally. Brush with reserved egg mixture.
7. Bake in a preheated 350deg.F (180deg. C) oven for about an hour or when the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
8. Cool on a cooling rack before slicing. Wrap well to prevent drying out.