INGREDIENTS (4-5 servings)
2 cups red currants (removed from stalks) or raspberries, blackberries or cranberries
2 cups water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup wheat semolina (also known as “farina”, not flour though, or Cream of Wheat)
1. Place prepared berries in a saucepan with water and boil until softened (2, 3 min).
2. Strain the boiled mixture through a fine sieve, pressing out most of the pulp.
3. Return strained mixture into the pan and bring to a gentle boil.
4. Gradually pour in the semolina while briskly stirring.
5. Boil gently while stirring for about three minutes until thickened.
6. Pour mixture into a bowl and let cool briefly (although not necessary).
7. Now beat the mixture on high until it increases in volume and becomes fluffy.
8. Spoon into bowls and serve warm or cold with cold milk if desired.
9. Good decorated with extra, fresh berries.