INGREDIENTS for 12 small cupcakes
5 oz. (150 gr.) one medium beet steamed and peeled
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup coconut oil (or other oil/butter of your choice)
1/2 cup unsweetened yogurt
1 1/2 cups all purpose unbleached flour
3/4 cups coconut sugar
2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp. salt
6 tbsp. aquafaba sprinkled with 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1. Blend beets with lemon juice in a food processor until smooth.
2. Add oil and yogurt and blend until smooth.
3. Sift together the dry ingredients.
4. Mix the dry ingredients into the beet mixture.
5. Mix in the vinegar.
6. Beat the aquafaba and cream of tartar to stiff peaks.
7. Fold the beaten aquafaba carefully into the prepared batter.
8. Fill paper lined cupcake tins almost to the top.
9. Bake in a 350degF (170degC) preheated oven for 20 minutes. When done, turn off the oven and leave the cupcakes an additional 20 minutes without opening the oven door. Then remove them to a cooling rack. When cooled top with a fluffy whipped topping if desired or dust with powdered sugar. Delicious served with redcurrants. Remember these cupcakes are very delicate and could possibly fall apart when removed from the cupcake liners.