INGREDIENTS (for 6-8 medium pancakes)
1 cup all purpose flour (or half whole wheat)
2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 large egg
2 tbsp. coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
1 small steamed (or cooked) beet
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
oil for frying
to serve – 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, 1/2 cup whipped cream with 1 tbsp. powdered sugar mixed with 1/4 cup yogurt.
1. Beat together the egg and sugar until fluffy. Set aside.
2. Place chopped beet and yogurt together in a blender and blend until smooth.*
3. Mix the egg and the beet/yogurt mixture together.
3. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt together and mix into the above.
4. Gently stir in the vinegar.
5. Fry 1/4 cupfuls of batter in hot oil in a frying pan. Turn once to fry other side.
(about 2 minutes per side)
6. Serve with sweetened whipped cream mixed with yogurt. Top with blueberries or other berries if desired.
*There should be a minimum of 1 cup total of yogurt and beet mixture. Ok if it’s slightly more.