4 cups (1 Litre) almond milk (or regular milk)
1 cup (200 gr.) rice (preferably a small grain type such as Vialone Nano)
1 cup (170 gr.) sugar
1/2 cup (50 gr.) ground almonds
grated rind of 1 organically grown lemon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
for dusting – powdered sugar
Optional: small shot glass of “Amaretto di Saronno” or a few drops of almond essence
1. Bring milk with 1/2 cup sugar and a piece of lemon rind to a simmer.
2. Add rice and simmer uncovered, stirring from time to time, until the rice absorbs all of the milk (for about an hour). The consistency should be creamy. Let cool, stirring occasionally.
3. Meanwhile beat the whole eggs with the rest of the sugar (1/2 cup) together with the rind until fluffy and lemon coloured.
4. Fold the egg mixture gently into the cooled rice mixture until well combined.
5. Mix in vanilla and/or other flavourings as desired.
6. Lastly fold in gently the ground almonds.
7. Pour batter into a greased and floured (parchment paper lined) 24 cm (9 1/2 inch) cake pan with a removable rim. Bake in a 180deg C (370deg F) preheated oven for about 40-45 minutes until golden.
8. Cool at least 3-4 hrs. Dust with powdered sugar.