INGREDIENTS FOR ONE LARGE OR 4 Small SARDENARAS
DOUGH (Bread machine or by hand):
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup (240 ml.) water (half milk best)
1 and 1/2 tsp. salt
4 cups (480 grams) all purpose flour
1 rounded tsp. yeast for bread machine (2 tsp. by hand method)
TOMATO SAUCE (prepare while dough is rising)
1/2 medium onion
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 can chopped tomatoes
2 basil leaves
olive oil, salt
4-5 anchovy filets cut into small pieces
black taggiasche olives
1/4 cup capers (optional)
origano, olive oil
(method: saute’ onions and garlic in oil, add tomatoes, basil, salt and simmer 20-30 min.)
1. Place all ingredients into the bread machine in same order.
2. Select “pizza” program. (otherwise knead dough by hand, let rise for 2 hrs.)
3. When dough is risen, remove from machine to a floured board.
4. Roll out dough to fit pan or smaller pans which have been oiled.
5. Brush top/tops with a little oil.
6. Press the olives into the dough.
7. Spread enough tomato sauce over the dough to cover.
8. Sprinkle a few capers over the top and add distribute the anchovies.
9. Sprinkle over a little oil and oregano.
10. Place pan/pans into a preheated 200deg C (400deg F) oven for 20-25 minutes (30-35 for larger pan).
11. Remove carefully from oven when ready and serve hot.