2 round rolls of puff pastry
1 lb. (about 500 gr.) of washed and trimmed fresh spinach, steamed and drained
1 2/3 cups ricotta cheese (about 300 gr.)
2 beaten eggs (save a bit for brushing over the pastry)
1/2 cup grated parmigiano cheese
salt, pepper and grated nutmeg to taste
2 tbsp. finely grated breadcrumbs
2 tbsp. shelled sunflower seeds (for topping)
1. Roughly chop the cooled spinach. Make sure it’s well drained (squeeze into a sieve if necessary). Set aside.
2. Beat the ricotta, eggs, parmigiano and seasonings together until smooth.
3. Mix in the spinach and breadcrumbs until well combined.
1. Unroll one of the puff pastry rolls and peel off the wax paper. Place the paper on a pizza pan.
2. Place the pastry on top of the paper again. (This is to help easier removal when baked).
3. Arrange the spinach mixture on top as shown in the following picture:
4. Unroll the other puff pastry (remove wax paper lining) and place on top.
5. Press a small bowl over the center of the dough to seal off central part of the spinach mixture.
6. Press edge around the pastry to seal off the perimeter of the tart.
7. To create the petals of the sunflower cut through regular intervals stopping at the edge of the central part.
8. Now carefully twist each petal to reveal the spinach filling. Brush reserved egg mixture over the tart.
9. Sprinkle the sunflower seeds over the central mound and bake pastry at 190deg C (375deg F) for 35-40 min.