2 cups + 2 tbsp. (250 gr.) all purpose flour
1/2 cup (50 gr.) cornstarch
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
pinch of salt
1/4 cup (60 gr.) sugar (up to 1/3 cup for a sweeter cookie)
1/3 cup (80 gr.) room temperature butter
1 large egg
1/2 cup (100 ml) milk
grated rind of 1 lemon
1. Sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and soda.
2. Whisk in the sugar.
3. Work in small lumps of the butter. Rub together with hands to form a crumbly mixture.
4. Mix in the eggs, lemon rind and room temperature milk with a fork.
5. Gather mixture together with your hands to form a ball.
8. Place taralli on a non-stick baking pan and bake them at 370deg F (180deg C) for 15 minutes or until barely golden. Remove them to a cooling rack. Dust them with powdered sugar when cool. If desired you can glaze them while still warm with the following glaze:
Lemon glaze: Mix 1 tbsp. lemon juice into 1/2 cup powdered sugar.