1/4 cup sugar (I used coconut sugar) about 3 tbsp.
1 large egg
pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup oil (60 ml) (coconut, olive OK)
1 cup (150ml) any milk (almond good)
1 1/4 cups (150 gr.) all purpose flour
2 tsp. (8 gr.) baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar (helps in the rising)
1-2 sliced (not too thick) cored apples
lemon juice (grated rind can be added to the batter if desired)
1. Butter a medium sized frying pan. Sprinkle with sugar.
2. Cover with the prepared apple rings sprinkled with lemon juice. Set aside.
3. Beat the egg, sugar, vanilla and salt until fluffy.
4. Mix in the oil and milk.
5. Gently mix in the flour sifted with the baking powder and soda. Mix in vinegar.
6. Pour the mixture over the apples, cover with lid and “bake” over low heat on your stove for 20 minutes or until the top is firm and dry. Turn over to a large plate and slide cake back into the frying pan to “bake” the other side another 5 minutes without the lid on low heat.
7. When done remove the cake (using a large spatula) onto a cooling rack.
8. Serve warm or cold.
TIP Other fruits could be used in place of apples too.