FILLING INGREDIENTS (for an 8 inch/18 cm pan)
15 oz. (450 gr.) fresh strawberries halved
3 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. gelatin powder
grated rind of 1 lemon
1 and 1/2 cups (170 gr.) all purpose flour
1/2 cup of pepitas (green hull-less pumpkin seeds)
1/4 cup (50 gr.) sugar
pinch of salt
1/4 cup (70 gr.) butter
3-4 tbsp. milk
1. For the filling place the prepared strawberries and mix with 2 tbsp. sugar.
2. Cook and stir mixture over low heat for about 10 minutes.
3. Mix together the gelatine powder and sugar and stir into the strawberry mixture the last two minutes of cooking. Remove from heat and stir in the grated rind. Set aside to cool.
4. For the crust: grind the pepitas together with the flour in a food processor.
5. Whisk in the sugar and salt.
6. Cut in the room temperature butter to form a crumbly mixture as for pie crust.
7. Start adding the milk a tablespoon at a time while stirring with a fork until mixture comes together in a ball. You might not need all of the milk.
8. Cover the ball and let it rest for 1/2 an hr.
9.Roll out 2/3 of the dough on wax paper (easier) to fit your pie pan or cake pan with removable sides. Place the remaining 1/3 in the freezer. Prick the bottom of the pastry with a fork. Bakein a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes at 370 F (170 C).
Assembling the pie:
1. Pour the prepared strawberry mixture into the baked pie shell.
3. Bake pie an additional 20-25 minutes. Cool at least 3-4 hours. Serve dusted with powdered sugar if desired.