For the spongecake:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 scant tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
2 large eggs at room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
grated rind of an organic lemon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 to 1 cup small strawberries for decorating the sides
for the cheesecake filling:
1 cup pureed (in a blender) fresh strawberries
3 sheets (or 3 tsp) gelatine
1/4 cup greek yogurt
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup “Robbiolina” or cream cheese
2-3 tbsp. honey
extra powdered sugar for dusting top of cake
1. First prepare the cake. Line an 8 inch loose bottomed cake pan with greased and floured wax paper.
2. Beat eggs until foamy, then gradually add sugar and continue beating until mixture is fluffy and pale yellow.
3. Now carefully fold in the vanilla, rind and sifted flour with baking powder into the egg mixture. Don’t over mix.
4. Pour batter into the prepared pan, levelling the top. Bake in a preheated 170deg C (350deg F) oven for 25 min.
5. When cake is golden and done (center should be firm when pressed with a finger) remove from oven and cool 10 min.
6. Run a knife around edge of cake to loosen. Open the sides and turn over. Peel off the wax paper. Set aside.
7. Now reassemble pan and thoroughly wash it. Grease the sides only, leaving bottom clean.
8. Cut a strip of wax paper the height of the sides and line the sides all around with it. It should stick.
9. Cut the cooled spongecake in half and place one disk cut side up on the bottom of the pan.
9. Cut strawberries in half lengthwise and attach them to the parchment with the cut side. Prepare the filling.
1. Whip the cream together with the powdered sugar until stiff. Set aside in fridge.
2. Place the strawberries, yogurt, cottage cheese, cream cheese and honey in the blender and blend until smooth.
3. Soak the gelatine for 5 minutes in a little water, drain and melt over low heat in 2 tbsp. water. Cool slightly.
4. Fold the gelatine into the strawberry mixture. Now gently fold in the whipped cream.
5. Pour mixture over the spongecake in the pan just to tops of strawberries. Level off the top.
6. Place second disk cut side down over the cheesecake layer. Press slightly. Cover with plastic wrap.
7. Chill in fridge at least 8 hrs. or overnight.
8. When ready to serve, gently remove sides of pan and peel off the wax paper. 9. Lift cake off the bottom pan onto a serving plate.
9. Dust top with powdered sugar and serve. Makes a great birthday cake too.