1/2 – 1 cup cooked and drained chickpeas
8 oz. (250 gr.) barely cooked green beans, cut into pieces
5 oz. (150 gr.) cubed pumpkin
2 medium peeled ripe pears
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium ripe tomatoes
1 garlic clove
1 small handful (10-15) of peeled and toasted almonds
one small slice of toasted bread (Tuscan is best), cubed
1/2 tsp. sweet paprika powder
1 small envelope (1/4 tsp.) saffron powder
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
2 quarts (about 2 litres) boiling water with two vegetable bullion cubes
salt and pepper to taste
1. Start by sautéing the chopped onion in the oil for a couple of minutes.
2. Add the chopped tomatoes and continue cooking for two or three minutes.
3. Pour over the prepared broth and add the chickpeas and pumpkin cubes.
4. Continue cooking until the pumpkin is cooked (about 10 minutes).
5. Now add the prepared green beans and the two quartered and seeded pears.
6. Simmer the soup until the pears are tender (about 10 minutes). Mix in the saffron and paprika.
7. In the meantime toast the bread and garlic clove in a little olive oil. Mix in the toasted almonds.
8. Remove the garlic and place the bread/almond mixture into a food processor. Reduce it to a fine meal.
9. Mix the above mixture into the soup and add the apple cider vinegar. Serve warm or tepid if desired.