(continued)…a lot of the sugar and fat content adding important fiber and
other valuable nutrients without sacrificing flavor.
INGREDIENTS (makes 2 small or one regular loaf)
3/4 cup all purpose flour plus 2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. baking powder
a pinch of salt
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. soft butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar (I like to process it to a fine powder in the food processor)
1 tsp vanilla (or vanilla flavored baking powder)
4 tbsp. plain yogurt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes
grated rind of an organic lemon or orange
optional: sliced almonds, powdered sugar for dusting and chocolate chips
1) Preheat oven to 180degC/350degF. Grease or line two small or one large loaf pan.
2) Sift together the dry ingredients.
3) Beat the butter/coconut oil together with the sugar until fluffy.
4) Mix the yogurt into the mashed sweet potato with the vanilla.
5) Mix a third of the flour mixture into the butter/sugar mixture alternating with the mashed sweet potato mixture. Combine until smooth without over mixing. Mix in the chocolate chips if desired.
6) Bake 35-45 minutes until loaves are firm to the touch.
7) Cool the loaves for 5 minutes in the pans, then remove them to a cooling rack.
8) Dust with powdered sugar if desired.