8 small organic apples
2-3 oz. (80-100 gr.) cheddar (or other sharp cheese)
1/4 cup toasted whole hazelnuts
1/2 cup crushed amaretti cookies
2 tbsp. chopped walnuts
2 tbsp. maple syrup or honey
1 tbsp. butter
optional: lemon juice (to brush insides of apples to prevent darkening)
1. Wash apples thoroughly and scoop out some of the pulp with the seeds. Discard.
2. For the savoury apples: stuff four apples with a chunk of cheese and top with a hazelnut.
3. For the sweet apples: Fill each of four apples with a mixture of crushed amaretti cookies and walnuts. Pour a bit of maple syrup into each and add a dab of butter on top.
4. Place the apples in a parchment lined and buttered pan.
5. Bake in a 250deg. F (170deg. C) oven for 20-25 minutes or until the apples are soft. Serve warm or cold.
TIP: the sweet apples are delicious served warm with fresh cream poured over.