2 fresh “triglie” cleaned and rinsed
2 cups cherry tomatoes quartered
one small scallion
one small garlic clove, crushed
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp finely grated breadcrumbs
2 tbsp olive oil (part butter if desired)
a few thyme sprigs
1. Place the two fish in a buttered or oiled small oven proof casserole.
2. Sprinkle salt on the inside and outside of the fish. Set aside.
3. In the meantime prepare the tomato sauce. Saute’ the onion and garlic in the oil. Add tomatoes.
4. Gently cook only for 5 to ten minutes until barely tender.
5. Pour the sauce over the fish and top with a few sprigs of thyme. Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
6. Sprinkle a little oil on top.
7. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in a preheated 190deg C (375deg F) oven.
NOTE: This is the famous Italian recipe for Triglie alla Livornese (Livorno style red mullet). I served this dish with buttered penne cooked with a pinch of saffron. The golden colour of the pasta really complements the fish.