Almond Flour Angel Cake Layer:
5 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
Whipped Cream filling:
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 tsp. powdered gelatin (agar agar)
2 tbsp. cold water
3 tbsp. sugar
Gelatine top layer:
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
2 tbsp. sugar
4 halved strawberries
1 tsp. powdered gelatine
1/4 cup cold water
One 2cm. (1 inch) thick slice of seedless watermelon cut to the same size of the cake pan
To Decorate: chopped pistacchio and edible flowers
For cake layers
1. Lightly grease a parchment paper lined 8 inch (20 cm.) round springform pan with removable sides.
2. Preheat oven to 180deg. C (370deg. F).
3. Whip the egg whites to soft peaks and gradually whip in the sugar to form a firm meringue.
4. Whisk together the almond flour and powdered sugar. Gently fold into the egg white mixture.
5. Transfer prepared batter into the cake pan levelling off the top.
6. Bake 20-30 minutes or until cake springs back when pressed with a finger.
7. Let cake cool in the pan for ten minutes, then gently remove it to a cooling rack.
8. Peel off the parchment paper. Wash and dry the pan thoroughly.
For gelatine layer
1. Sprinkle powdered gelatine over the water. Let stand 5 minutes, then melt over a low flame.
2. Puree the strawberries in a blender with the sugar. Mix in the slightly cooled gelatine.
3. Line the clean pan with cling film. Arange a few of the strawberry halves on the bottom.
4. Carefully pour the strawberry gelatine over the strawberries.
5. Cover and let set in the fridge for at least a couple of hours to firm up.
Strawberry Gelatine Layer
1. Whip the cream to firm peaks with the sugar.
2. Sprinkle the gelatine over the water and melt over low heat.
3. When slightly cooled mix the dissolved gelatine into the whipped cream. Refrigerate.
4. Slice the prepared cake into two layers.
5. Remove the strawberry gelatine layer and set aside on a plate.
6. Line the empty cake pan with parchment paper and place one cake layer on the bottom.
7. Top this layer with half the whipped cream, then place the slice of watermelon on top. Press slightly.
8. Spread watermelon with the remaining whipped cream and top this with the second half of the cake layer.
9. Now place the gelatine layer (cling film on top) over and peel off the cling film. Chill cake in fridge.
Tip: You may want to spread a thin layer of the whipping cream between the strawberry gelatine and last cake layer.
Remove cake from fridge. Remove the metal ring and place cake on a serving dish. Even off the sides if desired. Decorate with the pistachios and edible flowers.