1 cup chopped red onions (or shallots)
1/2 lb. (about 250 gr.) sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/2 lb. (250 gr.) sausage (can be omitted if not liked)
1/2 cup white wine
2 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup cream
1 cup wild rice
a handful of chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped and toasted walnuts
optional: 1/2 cup pomegranate kernels
1. Saute’ the onion, celery and thyme briefly, then add the mushrooms. Continue to saute’ until mushrooms have browned and lost some of their liquid. Set aside.
2. Gently saute’ the sausage (cut in small pieces) until slightly browned. Drain and add to the mushroom mixture.
3. Add the wine and stir until almost evaporated.
4. Stir in broth and cream, then the wild rice (rinsed previously).
5. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook over a low heat for one hour without stirring.
6. Check last 10 minutes in case you need more broth (don’t add very much) and to check degree of doneness.
7. When fully cooked add the parsley. Serve with the chopped nuts sprinkled on top and also the pomegranate.