3 large eggs or 9 tbsp. aquafaba (1/2 cup + 1 tbsp.) for vegan version
210 gr. (3/4 cup) sugar (for more sweetness add 1/4 cup honey)
100 ml (1/2 cup) light olive oil (or coconut oil)
6 tbsp. thick, white unsweetened yogurt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 small finely shredded zucchini (about 250 gr.)
zest and juice of 1 lime
2 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I used “tritordeum”, an Italian flour – not necessary if you can’t find it)
3 and 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup roughly chopped pistachios (70 gr.) (reserve two tbsp. for topping)
FOR LIME ICING:
3/4 cup powdered sugar mixed with zest and juice of one lime.
1. Preheat the oven to 350deg F (170deg C). Line loaf pan(s) with greased parchment paper.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
3. Beat the eggs (or aquafaba) and sugar together until fluffy.*
4. Gradually mix in oil, yogurt and vanilla. Stir in lime juice and zest. Fold in the prepared zucchini.
5. Incorporate the flour mixture and mix until smooth (don’t over mix).
6. Pour batter into pan(s) and bake the large pan for 40-45 min., mini loaves about 1/2 hr. Test with toothpick.
7. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely on a wire rack.
8. When completely cooled, frost with the lime icing and sprinkle over the chopped pistachios.
*For acquafaba version beat the a.f. until soft peaks form (you can add 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar) – then add sugar 1 tbsp. at a time and continue beating for at least 7 minutes until stiff peaks form.