3 large eggs (separated)
100 gr. powdered brown sugar
150 gr. buckwheat flour
50 gr. cornstarch
3 tsp. baking powder (or one envelope – 16 gr.)
60 gr. olive oil
40 gr. very soft butter
1 small grated apple
50-80 gr. finely grated hazelnuts or almonds
1/2 small tub of plain yogurt (or 1/4 cup kefir)
cranberry, red current or blueberry preserves
1. Sift together the buckwheat flour, cornstarch and baking powder.
2. Beat the egg whites with half the sugar until firm. Set aside.
3. Beat the butter/olive oil with the remaining sugar. Then beat in the egg yolks.
4. Mix in the flour mixture (#1), grated apple, ground hazelnuts and yogurt into the above mixture.
5. When the batter is smooth gently fold in the beaten egg whites.
6. Pour the batter into a 22 cm. greased parchment paper lined cake pan.
7. Bake in a preheated 180deg C. oven for 30-35 min.
8. Cool cake in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it to a cooling rack. Dust with powdered sugar.
9. Serve with berry preserves and whipped cream if desired.
TIP: The powdered sugar decoration can be done with a cake stencil.