1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 heaping cup of powdered sugar
1 tbsp. granulated sugar
pinch of salt
1/3 cup unsalted cold butter cut in cubes
1 large egg
grated lemon rind
3 large eggs
1/3 cup coconut (or regular) sugar
2 tsp. cornstarch
grated rind of 1 orange
3/4 cup fresh pink grapefruit juice
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch of salt
2 tbsp. soft salted butter
optional: candied orange or grapefruit peel*
1. Line a square 8X8 inch pan with waxed paper.
2. Whisk together dry crust ingredients (including rind).
3. Work the butter into the flour mixture to form coarse crumbs.
4. Beat egg and stir into the flour/butter mixture to form a rough ball.
5. Transfer the dough into the prepared pan. Spread out evenly.
6. Bake in a preheated 350deg F (170deg C) oven for 25 min. or until golden.
7. Whisk all the filling ingredients together in a blender (except butter) until smooth.
8. Simmer filling mixture over low heat for 5 min. until thickened. Stir in butter.
9. Pour filling over baked crust and bake for 25 min. more. Cool.
Cool in fridge before cutting into bars. Decorate with candied peel if desired.
*You can make your own candied peel by peeling strips of untreated oranges or grapefruit very thinly. Boil peels in a little water for a few seconds and drain. Then boil 1/2 cup water and 1/4 cup sugar together with the peel for 15 minutes. Drain and roll in granulated sugar while hot.