A favorite of St. Francis, patron saint of Italy
150 gr. of toasted hazelnut flour (or half almond flour)
80 gr. all purpose flour
1 beaten egg (or 2 egg whites)
1 tbsp. grape must (or grape jam)
1 tbsp. olive oil
a pinch of cinnamon and/or nutmeg
1. Beat all the liquid ingredients together.
2. Mix in the flours and spices to form a firm dough.* Chill in fridge at least and hour.
3. Roll the dough out thin on a floured surface. Slice into desired shapes (or as shown).
4. Place on a wax paper lined baking sheet.
5. Bake in a preheated 180deg C. oven for 12-15 minutes until crisp.
6. When cooled dust with powdered sugar if desired.
*Don’t be alarmed by the color of the dough! The cookies bake golden when done.
Note: These cookies are traditionally served with grape must (or with grape jam if not available)