for the sauce:
150 gr. (about 1 cup) gorgonzola or other soft cheese like crescenza
150 gr. (1 cup) cream
a grating of nutmeg if desired
pinch of salt and a shake of pepper
1/4 cup chopped pecans or hazelnuts
1. Steam or boil the potatoes in their jackets. Peel and mash with fork (or with ricer) while still hot.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and last gradually work in the flour to form a soft but not sticky dough.
3. Roll dough into 1/2″ (1 1/2 cm) ropes.
4. Cut into 2″ (2 cm) pieces.
5. Drop the gnocchi into boiling salted water (about half at a time).
6. When the gnocchi float, drain them with a slotted spoon. Sprinkle with the melted butter so they don’t stick together.
7. Prepare sauce: Melt the cheese into the hot cream, stirring constantly until smooth.
8. Pour over the gnocchi and sprinkle with the chopped nuts if desired.