300 gr flour
125-150 gr soft butter
50 gr melted butter
pinch of salt
1/2 cup water
250 gr ricotta cheese
90 gr powdered sugar
1-2 T chopped candied orange peel
utensils: pastry blender, large rolling pin, small pastry rolling pin.
1. Place the softened butter in the center of the flour and work it in like pastry adding 1/2 cup of water. Work into a ball, similar to pasta consistency (not too firm).
2. Let it rest 1/2 hr. (to lose elasticity).
3. Roll out on a floured surface into a rectangle about 60 x 40 cm. Even out irregularities.
4. Cut three strips lengthwise. Form another strip with the cutouts.
5. Melt 50 gr. of butter and brush the first rectangle with it. Repeat with the other three.
6. Now place each strip on top of another and roll up from narrow end (like a jelly roll).
7. With a sharp knife make about 12 slight incisions, then carefully slice into 12 slices (about 1 cm in thickness) (sprinkle knife with flour).
8. Now place each slice on a floured surface and roll with rolling pin from the center to the right and then center to the left (forming sort of an opened clam shell). Then with a lighter pressure roll upwards from the
center and downwards as well to widen the shape a bit more. You should have an oval about 15 cm long.
9.Mix together the filling ingredients and place a spoonful on the lower half of the oval. Dampen the edge with a bit of beaten eggwhite. Fold the oval in half and gently press the edges. Place the finished shells on a buttered pan and brush with some melted butter. Bake about 15 min. at 180 degrees C. Brush with butter again and lower the temperature and continue baking for another 15 min. Repeat brushing with butter and lower temperature again and bake 5 more minutes until light golden brown.
When cooled sprinkle with powdered sugar.