1 1/2 litres fresh whole milk
100 gr. bread (good for using up slightly stale bread)
300 gr. crushed plain cookies (vanilla wafer type)
150 gr. amaretti cookies
300 gr. sugar
100 gr. unsweetened cocoa powder
100 gr. raisins
50 gr. pine nuts
100 gr. butter
2 tsp vanilla
grated rind of one (organic) lemon
1. Soak all the crushed cookies and torn up bread in the milk. (Could be left overnight in the fridge).
2. Beat with a mixer until smooth.
3. Beat in the rest of the ingredients saving a handful of pine nuts for the top.
4. Pour into a large cake pan that has been lined with buttered wax paper and sprinkled with crushed cookie crumbs.
5. Sprinkle the top with the remaining pine nuts.
6. Bake at 180deg C (350deg F) or until the center is firm.
7. Cool completely before removing from the pan. Peel off the wax paper.
8. Delicious served with whipping cream. This cake also freezes well.