2 medium quinces, peeled with seeds removed and thinly sliced
1 tsp. cinnamon (or cinnamon stick) and a few cloves
1/4 cup honey
4 sliced apples sprinkled with 2 tbsp. lemon juice.
1/3 cup brown sugar (or honey) mixed with:
2 tbsp. flour
pinch of salt
Optional: 1/4 cup dried cranberries
1. Boil the quince, honey, cinnamon, clove and 1/2 cup water for 15 minutes, covered.
2. Uncover and continue simmering for 15 minutes more until the liquid is almost evaporated.
3. Remove from heat and mix in the apples and remaining ingredients.
4. Pour mixture into a buttered square or round baking pan (preferably pyrex glass).
5. Cover with a rolled out pie crust top (recipe follows). (or a pie crust of your choice)
ALMOND CRUST INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup almond meal (ground almonds)
1/2 cup butter + 2 tbsp. coconut oil (or butter)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1/3-1/2 cup cold water (sparkling if you have it)
1. Combine the dry ingredients.
2. Cut in the butter to form a crumbly mixture.
3. Mix in 1/3 cup cold water gradually while mixing until mixture forms a ball. (Add additional water only if necessary).
4. Roll out dough into an approximate shape of the baking pan between wax paper. Cut out small star shapes if desired, or slash dough in a few places when already on top of fruit mixture.
5. Carefully lay the crust over the pan with the prepared fruit mixture.
6. Bake in a 375deg F (180deg C) preheated oven for 40-45 minutes until bubbly and crust is golden.
7. Cool and dust with powdered sugar if desired.