INGREDIENTS (four portions)
1 ready made round flaky pastry (whole wheat good)
2 medium Bartlett (or Williams) pears
2 tbsp. chopped pecans
3 tbsp. crushed amaretto cookies (or other almond cookie)
1 tsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. flour
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of salt
2 tsp. soft butter
1. Wash, halve, remove seeds and fibres and scoop out centres of the pears.
2. In the meantime combine and rub together the rest of the ingredients for the filling. Set aside.
3. Place the pear halves onto the pastry that has been cut into four parts (as shown below).
4. Fill the centres with some of the filling and wrap the pastry around the pear half, moistening edges with water.
5. Brush with a little beaten egg white and sprinkle a little sugar over top.
6. Bake cut side down in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden.*
7. Serve warm or cold. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
*If tops start turning too brown, cover with a sheet of aluminium foil.