For 16 scones:2 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup white or brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter plus 2 tbsp coconut oil (better if in a solid form)
1 cup plain yogurt (or kefir) mixed with 1/4 cup almond milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar (optional but makes the scones lighter)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts.
For ganache: 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips plus 3 tbsp vegetable or regular cream. Melt the chips in a small pan over hot water. Blend in the cream.
1. Whisk together dry ingredients (plus walnuts).
2. Cut in butter mixture (like pie crust).
3. Slowly pour in yogurt mixture (plus vinegar if using) while mixing with a fork until a ball forms. It should be soft and slightly sticky. Dust with a little flour if necessary.
4. Flatten into a 1 inch (2 cm.) disk.
5. Cut out rounds using a floured pastry cutter, or divide the disk into 4 parts,
form 1 inch thick smaller disks which are further cut into 4 parts each. All in all 16 wedge shaped scones.
Or use any shape you wish.
6. Place the scones onto an ungreased (teflon) baking sheet.
7. Bake at 375 deg F (180 deg C) for about 12-15 minutes.
8. Cool on a wire rack and frost with the chocolate ganache if you wish.