2 cups almond milk (or milk of your choice)
1/3 cup agave syrup or 1/2 cup honey
2 tbsp. brown sugar (optional)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup pumpkin puree’ (preferably from steamed fresh pumpkin)
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
a dash of ground nutmeg
optional: freshly grated organic orange
Optional toppings: pecans, crushed amaretto cookies, whipped cream
1. Blend all the ingredients up to cornstarch until smooth.
2. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Simmer for 3 minutes stirring constantly until thick.
3. Place the pumpkin and rest of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
4. Stir in about a cup of the hot milk mixture into the pumpkin mixture.
5. Pour all of the pumpkin mixture into the first mixture and mix well. Return to the heat source.
6. Bring to a boil and continue cooking about 3 more minutes always stirring.
7. Cool and serve with a topping if desired.
TIP: Don’t throw away those seeds. Rinse away all the stringy pulp, soak the seeds in salted water for a few hours. Dry and toast them spread out on a cookie sheet at 300deg F (1750deg C) for an hour.