800 gr. (1 – 1/2 lb.) eggplant (about 3 medium)
2 – 3 tbsp. good olive oil
1 – 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 small garlic clove, crushed
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
Optional: red pepper, chopped basil
1. Wash and halve the eggplants. Rub all sides with olive oil.
2. Place the eggplants on a foil lined baking pan and roast them in the oven (180deg C)(375 deg F) for 45 minutes.
3. Pierce them with a wooden skewer and when very soft remove from the oven and cool for about 5 minutes.
4. Peel off the skin and place chunks of the eggplant in a food processor.
5. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
6. Serve warm or cold with fresh vegetables, chips or as a spread.
TIP: If you plan to eat the eggplant caviar the next day, add the parsley right before serving.