INGREDIENTS (four portions)
1 cup of basmati rice (1/2 white-1/2 black) about 150 gr.
1 medium scallion, finely sliced or chopped
5 thin slices of fresh ginger roughly cut up
2 -3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 to 1 tsp. curry powder
1 medium roughly grated fresh beet
optional: 1 large grated carrot
1/4 cup vegetable broth
2 tbsp. toasted sliced almonds
1. Boil the rice according to package directions (10-12 min.). Set aside.
2. Gently sauté the scallion and ginger in the oil for a couple of minutes.
3. Mix in the curry powder and sauté’ a minute more.
4. Mix in the grated beet (and carrot) and gently sauté until tender about 10 min.
5. Add the hot broth and cook a couple of minutes while mixing.
6. Mix in the cooked rice and sliced almonds.
7. Pack the finished rice mixture into oiled pastry rings on individual plates.
8. Gently remove rings and serve with a dollop of sour cream if desired.
Follow the same recipe as above except substitute 1 large grated zucchini for the beet and 2 tbsp. chopped pistachios for the almonds. Decorate with a sprig of mint desired.