INGREDIENTS (for 6-8 small pastries)
140 gr. all purpose flour
40 gr. light brown sugar (fine texture)
1 egg yolk
50 ml (about 1/4 cup) light olive oil part coconut oil good)
pinch of salt
225 gr. fresh ricotta
1 egg separated
40 gr. sugar
grated rind of a small lemon
optional: pinch of saffron powder if desired
1. Combine thoroughly all crust ingredients.
2. Knead until dough comes together into a ball.
3. Wrap in cling film and chill in fridge for about an hour.
4. In the meantime prepare the filling:
5. Beat the egg white until firm and light. Set aside.
6. Beat the egg yolk and sugar until light and fluffy.
7. Incorporate the ricotta and lemon zest on a low setting of the beater. (saffron too if using)
8. Carefully fold the beaten egg white into the mixture.
8. Keep in fridge until ready to use.
1. Roll out the dough between wax paper to about 20X30 cm.
2. Cut the dough into 6 (or more) squares.
3. Grease and flour 6-8 cupcake tins.
4. Line tins with the rolled out squares (dough tears easily so you might have to press in pieces)
5. Even up the edges and fill with filling almost to the top.
6. Bake the pastries in a 180deg C(370deg F) preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes.
7. Cool the Soffioni in the pans until slightly warm, then turn out to cool further.
8. Dust the pastries with powdered sugar before serving.