INGREDIENTS (for an 8 inch/20 cm. diameter cake)
5 oz. (150 gr.) dark chocolate (70-85%, not baking chocolate)
2 cups (150 gr.) almond meal (also called almond flour)
1/2 cup +2 tbsp. (150 gr.) unsalted butter
2/3 cup coconut sugar (or regular)
3 medium eggs
1 tbsp. potato starch
1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 level tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
optional: 1 tsp. zest from an organic lemon, powdered sugar
1. Melt the butter and chocolate in a double boiler over hot water. Mix well.
2. When slightly cooled, mix in the vanilla.
3. Meanwhile beat the eggs with the coconut sugar until fluffy and light.
4. Gradually pour the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and mix together.
4. Whisk together the cocoa, baking powder and potato starch. Mix into the egg misture.
5. Gently fold in the almond meal along with the lemon zest, if using, into the batter.
6. Pour the batter into a buttered, parchment paper lined springform pan. (removable rim)
7. Bake in a 350deg F (170deg C) preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until the center is firm and a toothpick inserted comes out clean or with moist crumbs. Do not over bake.
8. Cool 30 minutes in the pan before removing the rim. Cool completely on a wire rack. Carefully peel off the wax paper when cold. (Cake is very delicate and fragile)*
*If cake breaks apart during removal you can cut it into bars and serve it like brownies!
TO SERVE: Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with coffee if desired or with whipped cream and raspberries as a delectable dessert.