INGREDIENTS and PROCEDURE
orange almond crumb mix: Grind together 2 slices of candied orange peel and 1/2 cup almond meal in a food processor to form a rough mixture. Set aside.
1. Sift into a bowl 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup very fine cornmeal, 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt.
2. Whisk in 1 cup coconut or brown sugar, 1/4 cup almond meal, 1/2 of the above prepared orange/almond crumb mix.
3. Make a well in the center and add: 1/2 cup very soft butter, 1 cup milk/yogurt mixture or buttermilk, 2 tbsp honey, 1/4 cup Grappa liquor and 2 well beaten eggs (save one egg white for later) Beat everything together until smooth.
4. Fold in 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
5. Whip the reserved egg white and gently fold it into the mixture. Set batter aside.
6. Prepare a buttered wax paper lined 10″ (25 cm) cake pan with removable rim.
7. Drop small clumps of the orange almond mix randomly over the bottom of the pan.
8. Pour over the batter and smooth top. Bake 30-35 min at 350deg F (170deg C). Cool 10 min in pan.
9. Turn over to cooling rack and peel off the paper. When cold sift powdered sugar over top.
NOTE: If you want the cake to resemble the original in texture you could reduce the cocoa to 1/3 cup and use a coarser cornmeal.
Vicenza has the oldest covered theatre in Europe and I would add one of the most beautiful