Pastry Cream Ingredients:
300 ml milk (1 1/3 cup)
75 gr. sugar (1/4 cup)
3 egg yolks
25 gr. flour (1 heaping T.)
grated rind of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Various fresh fruit and berries as seen in picture (strawberries, raspberries, kiwi, blueberries, blackberries etc. If using bananas make sure to sprinkle them with lemon juice as they tend to darken).
For the pastry crust:
1. Make a well in the flour and add all the ingredients.
2. Quickly mix everything together with the fingertips and gather into a ball.
3. Flatten the ball slightly and cover with cling film. Refrigerate for 30 min.
For the pastry cream:
1. Bring the milk to a boil with half the sugar.
2. Add the vanilla and rind. Remove from the flame.
3. In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks with the remaining sugar until fluffy.
4. Mix in the flour.
5. Slowly mix in the hot milk. Pour back into the saucepan. Return to the burner and cook carefully over a low flame for 5 min. until thickened, mixing constantly with a wooden spoon. (double boiler could be useful here)
6. Let the mixture cool in the fridge.
7. In the meantime remove the pastry dough from the fridge and roll it out on a floured surface to fit the pastry pan (about 10 inch. or 25 cm.). Leave a raised edge (not too high, just enough to encase a thin layer of cream and a layer of fresh fruit).
8. Prick the bottom of the pastry with a fork.
9. Bake at 180 deg. C (375 F) for 30 min. or until golden. Let cool completely.
To assemble the tart:
1. Cover the baked pastry crust with the cooled pastry cream.
2. Decorate the top with berries and sliced fruit as desired. Serve.