INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings)
2-3 cups vegetable broth (1/2 L.)
1 cup pearl barley (150 gr.)
1/2 cup white wine
2 small or one large zucchini washed and cubed
1 small scallion
2 tbsp. olive oil
one small sachet of saffron (or a pinch)
Optional: parmigiano cheese and a knob of butter
Proceed as for risotto or follow the directions here:
1. Saute’ the chopped scallion in the olive oil until soft.
2. Add the barley and gently “toast” for a few seconds.
3. Mix in the wine and let it evaporate. Mix in the zucchini.
4. Add the hot broth and continue cooking (and stirring) for 20-30minutes or until ready.
5. Mix in the parmigiano and butter if desired and serve.