250 gr. (about 8 oz.) dried unsulfured apricots (will be brownish in color)
3 tbsp. (30 gr.) olive oil
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 and 3/4 cups (300gr.) semi-wholewheat (pref. stone ground) flour
pinch of salt
5 tsp. baking powder (21 gr. packet)
1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
1 cup (250 ml.) vegetable milk (pref. rice milk)
PROCEDURE (preheat the oven to 180deg.C (370deg.F)
1. Grind dried apricots in a food processor into very small pieces (not paste). Set aside.
2. Mix the oil and vanilla together in a cup. Set aside.
3. Whisk the dry ingredients together (from flour up tp turmeric) in a large bowl.
4. Work the finely ground apricots into the flour mixture until all the apricot particles are completely covered
with the flour mixture. (use your hands for this).
5. Now incorporate the oil/vanilla mixture into the above, mixing well. Mixture should resemble wet sand.
6. Lastly mix in the rice milk to form a soft dough.
7. Transfer the dough into a greased, parchment paper lined loaf pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden.
8. When done (try toothpick test) remove from oven. Let rest 5 minutes, then turn out to a cooling rack.
9. Peel off parchment paper and continue cooling. Slice and serve warm or cold.
TIP: Try other types of dried fruit (cranberries, dates, figs, chopped walnuts)