130 gr. large soft dates (6-8) pitted and soaked in 100ml (1 cup) warm water*
170 gr. (1 1/2 cups) wholewheat or spelt flour (multigrain good too)
2tsp. baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
40 gr. (1/2 cup minus 2 tsp.) unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup almond flour
100 ml (1/2 cup) olive or coconut oil
100 ml (1/2 cup) almond or coconut milk + 3 tsp. chia seeds mixed in*
1/4 cup coconut sugar
2 tbsp. honey
60 gr. tofu (2 oz.)
60 gr. 85% dark chocolate (6 squares of a 100 gr. bar) finely chopped
50 gr. (1/2 cup) ground or finely chopped walnuts
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
Topping – remaining squares of chocolate bar roughly chopped
*Dates in water and chia seeds in almond milk should be soaked minimum 1 hr.
1. Sift the flour, baking powder, soda, salt and cocoa powder.
2. Whisk in the almond flour and chopped walnuts. Set aside.
3. Place the softened dates and their water into a blender.
4. Add the oil, soaked chia seeds with the liquid, sugar, honey, tofu. Blend well.
5. Mix in the sifted dry ingredients, chopped chocolate, and vinegar.
6. Pour batter into a greased, wax paper lined 8X8 inch (18X18 cm) pan. Level top.
7. Bake in a preheated 270deg F (180deg C) oven for 25-30 min. Test with toothpick.
8. Cool 10 min. in pan. Top with the chocolate pieces while hot.
9. When chocolate softens, spread over top. Cool completely and remove from pan.
10. Cut into squares and enjoy!