(Continued) It really gives the filling a boost in flavor.
2 ready or home made rolls of pie pastry (see pastry recipe for Cherry Pie on this blog)
1 large quince -`about 1/2 kg. or equivalent
1/4 cup honey
2 cinnamon sticks and a few cloves
a few pieces of lemon peel
2 large unpeeled organic apples cored and thinly sliced
1/2 cup coconut or brown sugar mixed with 1 rounded tbsp. of flour and dash of cinnamon
1 cup of crushed amaretto cookies
a handful of pomegranate seeds for decoration if desired
1. Peel and core the quince – chop it into small pieces or slices.
2. Bring a small saucepan with 1 cup water and the spices to a boil. Add the quinces.
3. Boil until tender about 20 minutes. When cooled drain the quince. Reserve the liquid.*
4. Combine the quince with the chopped fresh apples and prepared sugar mixture.
5. Line a large pie pan with the pastry. Sprinkle amaretto crumbs on the bottom. 6. Fill pan with the apple/quince mixture.
7. Prepare pumpkin cutouts and place them on the top. Dot with a few bits of butter.
8. Brush pumpkins and edge of pie with a beaten egg for a brighter color if desired.
9. Bake pie in a 180degC (370degF) preheated oven for about 35-40 min. or until done.
If desired decorate the baked pastry pumpkins when cooled with a few pomegranate seeds.
* The reserved liquid from the cooked quince is delicious as a drink.
A large quince fruit