2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup rye flour
2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold butter
1 1/4 cups buttermilk or plain yogurt
1/2 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 beaten egg for brushing scones
1/2 cup poppy seeds (or sesame, caraway seeds) for topping
1. Preheat oven to 400deg F (190deg C).
2. Combine dry ingredients (not seeds).
3. Cut in or rub in the butter to form a breadcrumb-like texture. (like for pie crust)
4. Mix in rest of wet ingredients and stir until a ball forms.
5. Press dough together with floured hands and knead 4 or 5 times. Flatten dough.
6. Roll our dough to about 3/4 inch (1 1/2 cm) and cut out desired sized rounds.
7. Brush scones with the beaten egg and deep each into the seeds, or bake plain.
8. Place scones on a wax paper lined baking sheet and bake for 10 -15 minutes or until golden.