INGREDIENTS for twelve medium muffins
for crunchy topping
2/3 cup pecans toasted and chopped
1 tsp butter
2 tsp coconut sugar (or brown)
for banana cupcakes
1 1/4 cups multi grain flour (or whole wheat)*
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
1/2 cup unsweetened plain yogurt (room temp)
1/4 cup vegetable oil (such as coconut or a mix of olive oil, butter and coconut oil)
1 large room temperature egg
1 tsp vanilla extract if desired
optional Mix in a tbsp. apple cider vinegar at the end to boost the rising.
*I used 1 cup ancient grains flour, 1/4 cup buckwheat and 1/4 cup wholewheat
1. Prepare topping by gently toasting the topping ingredients while stirring constantly in a small pan for a couple of minutes – being careful not to scorch the mixture. Set aside to cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 370deg F (180deg C) and line the cupcake tins with paper liners.
3. Whisk all the dry ingredients together except topping. Set aside.
4. Beat the egg with the sugar until fluffy. Beat in the oil and vanilla.
5. Mix in the yogurt and mashed bananas.
6. Gently fold in the dry ingredients. (Avoid over-mixing)
7. Fill the prepared muffin tins with the mixture almost to the top. Sprinkle with the crunchy topping.
8. Bake the muffins for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
9. Remove pan to a cooling rack. Cool 10 minutes before turning out the muffins. Serve warm or at room temperature.
TIP: chocolate chips are good in this muffin recipe