INGREDIENTS (for 4 portions)
5 large 1 inch thick slices of peeled pumpkin
few sprigs of fresh thyme (optional)
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1 small scallion
a mix of 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup white wine, 1/4 cup white vinegar brought to a boil
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp. freshly squeezed tangarine or clementine juice
1/2 lb. (200 gr.) mild robiola goat’s cheese (like Roccaverano)
2 tbsp. cream or yogurt
salt and pepper, parsley leaves for garnish
1. Spread the prepared pumpkin on an oiled wax paper lined baking sheet.
2. Spritz a little olive oil over the slices and season with salt and pepper. (Sprinkle thyme if using)
3. Cover with aluminium foil and roast in the oven 25 minutes at 375deg F (180deg C) Then remove the foil.
4. Raise pan higher in oven and let slices brown slightly under grill for 10 minutes.
5. Sprinkle pumpkin seeds on a free side of the pan and let roast until golden for the last 3 or 4 minutes.
6. While pumpkin is roasting, marinate the thinly sliced scallion in the hot water/wine/vinegar mixture.*
7. When pumpkin is ready remove it from the oven and quickly cool one slice. Keep the other slices slightly warm.
8. Chop the cooled slice and blend it together with the mayonnaise and juice in a blender until smooth.
9. Beat the Robiola cheese with the cream or yogurt until fluffy.
To assemble dish: Arrange 3 or 4 small “clouds” of the fluffy cheese on each serving plate. Place a slice of the roasted pumpkin on top. On top of each pumpkin slice add a few rings of the marinated and drained scallion. Decorate with a few parsley leaves. Drop a few dollops of the pumpkin mayonnaise around the plate. Sprinkle over some roasted pumpkin seeds. Serve tepid or cool.
*You can marinate the onion up to a day ahead if you wish.